Monday is officially the first day of spring! And that means spring baking has arrived. Fun, light, citrus-inspired desserts are bound to be in my near future and I couldn’t be happier. I am an avid at home baker and the Great British Bake Off is one of my greatest sources of inspiration. Netflix adding two more seasons of GBBO has reinvigorated my baking bug, and left me aching to bake in my home kitchen.
This week I got such the urge to make biscotti after watching maybe one too many GBBO episodes. So I whipped up these super simple twice-baked treats with just a little spring time twist. A traditional biscotti actually has oil or butter- just eggs, flour, sugar and leavening agents. Which ultimately meant veganizing them was a pretty easy feat.
Traditional Lemon-Almond Biscotti
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 3/4-1 cup chopped almonds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbs ground flaxseed plus 8 tbs water
- 1 tsp almond extract
- zest from 3-4 large lemons
- Mix together the flaxseed and water and let rest for 15 mins to create the “flax-egg”
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- Combine the nuts, sugar, flour & baking powder in a large bowl
- In a separate bowl combine the “flax-egg” with the almond extract and the lemon zest
- Add the flax mixture in with the flour mixture until and sticky dough forms (the mixture will seem dry at first, but just keep mixing)
- Once a wet dough has formed split the mixture into two
- Taking one half of the dough form a log roughly 10 in long and 3 in wide with a width of 3/4 an inch
- Repeat this process with the other half of the dough and place both logs on a lined baking sheet
- Bake for 40 mins until just golden brown
- Remove from oven and let cool for 15 mins
- At this point also lower the oven temperature to 200 F
- Once cooled cut the logs into cookies using a serrated knife
- Place the cookies back on the sheet and bake for another 20 mins until throughly dry
*This recipe can be made gluten-free by substituting 2 cups of oat flour for the all purpose flour.